Metro NExT (New Experiences in Teaching) is a local version of MAA's Project NExT, a professional development program for new or recent Ph.D.s in mathematics. Our goal is to build a community of new faculty and graduate students in the NY Metro MAA Section to help each other develop effective strategies for all aspects of our professional lives from teaching to research to service.
Metro NExT is open to all faculty members in or around the Metro NY-area who have a Ph.D. in mathematics, mathematics education, or a related field and have full-time, pre-tenure status at a post-secondary institution. Metro NExT is also open to all graduate mathematics or mathematics education students in their final two years of doctoral study.
We meet twice a year, at the Metro NExT Workshop in the fall and at the Section Meeting in the spring (see the events page for upcoming meetings information). Fellows in the Metro NExT program will:
- Attend the Metro NExT Workshop in the fall.
- Be matched with a mentor, who is a tenured faculty at a different academic institution.
- Be members of a list-serve to help create networks for sharing ideas and supporting others.
- Present at the following Metro NExT Workshop in the fall or at the Section Meeting in the spring.
- Be actively involved in organizing the Metro NExT Workshop.
- Have the registration fees for the Section Meeting waived during their first two years.
- Be considered for the Metro NExT Professional Development Grant.
There is no cost for being part of Metro NExT. Qualified individuals interested in becoming a fellow and local faculty interested in becoming a consultant should complete and submit the appropriate application form (see the applications page for more information).